Getting a birth certificate is something most street children can only ever dream of. The costs are so far beyond their reach. But with your support, we can show a street child that Christmas is a time when amazing things can, and do, happen.
£32 will register one street child.
Give a birth certificate
Without a birth certificate a child cannot:
- see a doctor when they are ill
- sit an exam, or advance at school
- be allowed to get a job
- earn an income
- get married
- be buried in an official cemetary
No matter how they try, they will always be on the outside of society.
In Guatemala a birth certificate costs £1 and a child can be registered with just a fingerprint. But...
- We need a small ID card from the midwife who delivered the child – searching for the midwife takes time and money, and the card itself is only available for a fee
- We need to find two witnesses, who must be non-family members – which means we must pay transport costs and subsidise their wages for that day
- We need to pay a fine – a legal technicality, as the child was not registered within the first 60 days of their life
- We need to pay a tax of up to £12 for the registration process
On average, we estimate it costs upwards of £32 to register a child. In a country where many people live on less than £1 a day it is obvious why so few street children ever expect to get one.
Help us register a child
With our partner we have registered over 2000 children. With your support they can register many more.
“A birth certificate is a matter of life and death. It’s a key that opens the door to rights and benefits of citizenship”